PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHLAir wannabe? read this.
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 12:15
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 146/757 cockpit fumes cont.

I cant say I recognise JW411,but having been brought up on cod liver oil,malt supplements etc,in the late 40s as well,maybe I should be in better health.It is definitely a fact that some Pilots do not smell the same noxious odours.However,in 1988 when I started on the 146 at Air Uk,The Girls in the back,as well as Flightdeck, frequently complained and several ended up with headaches,and sinus problems.Also passengers complained about this.We had a brilliant FSO who had the Engineers change from Mobiljet2 to Aeroshell in the APU,and this DID makes things better.However with changes of Management this quickly reverted back,because the beancounters wanted greater APU engine life.These aircraft were Brand New at the time.I believe the are several Air Uk Pilots from that era,who have medicals no longer.The main point is that the Health problems are caused by a steady build up over many years of exposure.In Liege we had young 1st Officers with big problems,not just old shags.The Belgians transferred their own onto other Fleets to protect them,I believe.Some Pilots are definitely more prone to suffering from this than others,just as Allergy sufferers differ.Unfortunately the ones that dont ,consider the others to be whingers.One thing I did find ,was that habitual smokers did not find the fumes a particular problem.Maybe they were immune to it,so everyone should take up the habit again.This seems to go around and around,and whilst this Profession is no longer run by Pilots,the Beancounters will always win,until something serious occurs.The is no historical database to say when the problem will be so big,as to catch their attention.