PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch T & C's
Thread: Monarch T & C's
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 21:20
185 Lbs of Ballast!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My position regarding striking is as previously stated. I have seen nothing here to persuade me to change my view. I have made an agreement with someone and I am honour bound to it.
I made my position clear and was hoping that some of my colleagues who feel differently might chip in and enable us all to have a valuable discussion.
I realise that some people believe that those pilots who are not members of BALPA are getting a free ride and I understand that point of view. Also, I appreciated the comment that with membership would come a chance for me to have a voice and vote against a strike if that is what I chose to do.
I asked for the information on the offer as I was considering joining BALPA. Unfortunately it has been met, mostly, with derisory comments.
I see no conflict with my stated position regarding a strike and my previous comments regarding the 1% price of BALPA membership. I have never claimed to disagree with 'unionised action' although I do 'fundamentally disagree' with strike action.
I have been a member of the IPA for many years and feel that they give a very good service. Their ability to do so relies on membership which could be undermined by 'bully boy' behaviour experienced in some quarters which persuades previously loyal members to join BALPA.
My previous thread which has been chopped up and quoted in selected parts to suit MON321's purpose was as follows:
I have been a member of the IPA for 10 years and I have to sy a big for them. They are very in-expensiive and very efficient if you ever need any advice etc.
They have legal cover through Abbey Legal and discounted LOL insurance.
I was also a member of BALPA for a few years and that was also quite cheap as they were not a representative for the company so the 1% didn't apply. When I left to join a company whose contract was not written under Engish law; they said they would not be able to help me legaly. I left.
I believe that they have been a big help to crews and potential crews at Monarch as they have been negotiating on their behalf. So it's not all BA. I'm off to an airline soon and not sure if it's worth the 1%. I think i'll sit with the IPA
It was in response to this question:
Balpa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have a view on the British Airways Line Pilots Association and whether it is any good for GA bods. I've been thinking of joining either that or the Ittle Pilots Association but am told it won't help the guys in smaller outfits or one plane operations
The thread goes onto discuss the various merits of BALPA and the IPA and the relative costs. That hopefully gives context to my reply.
Presently, I’m not convinced that BALPA membership is worth 1% of my salary. Many of the gentlemen I fly with have been members and have left due to disillusionment with either BALPA or the CC over the years, and others are themselves not members.
At least these pages have shown me why they don't post on here - I was correct to deploy my hard hat!
It seems that those who have the ability to discuss without dissolving into playground antics such as name calling and comments that sound very much like “you're not in our gang” and “it’s my ball, you’re not playing” don’t post here. Consequently I’m taking a moratorium and offer my appologies to “Touchin’ Down” for our hijacking of his thread.