PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK jobs market and where and how to find that first job?
Old 15th May 2007, 19:25
Stanziel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it is smart to have a backup and to have tried something else; but then again, I don't see how smart it is to take a degree at eighteen, if you have wanted to fly for several years anyway. After all, it is estimated that in costs, equipment, and living expenses, a degree will cost £23-40 K! Is it just me, or is that almost the same as it will cost to become an FI? (According to my parents) it is probably just as easy to get a job as an FI as a graduate job! To get double up in debt, doesn't seem like the smartest move to me!

Not everybody is as lucky as you, Superpilot, to be able to find something that you can earn more money at than as a first officer and possibly enjoy; but good for you that you did

On a personal note about me in order to defend my age:

I have already "attended" uni (via distance learning); I started when I was 16! But I have just decided (together with my good source of advice - my parents) that it is much better to focus on getting a pilot job first, and then I can finish off my degrees.

On life experience, I have plenty as I have lived all over the world, and I have lived through things that nobody should experience (I have really bad luck), some things which very people will experience throughout their whole lifetime!

I may have just turned 18 a month ago, but I am educated as and have worked as an aromatherapy, massage, beauty, and spa therapist; in addition to having trained as professional dancer; and my main occupation is a cosmetic tattooist!

I have started one business, and I am currently starting another; but I don't have money burning in my pocket as it is very hard to make a business pay off in the first few years, but I should be able to (with help) to get to FI.

I am capable of more than most people as I have, at the same time, been doing 3 A-levels, 1 Nat. Dip. (equivalent to 3 A-levels), 3 NVQs, a degree part-time, and been starting my business.

Since I was 15, people have assumed I was 22-23 because they though I was mature.

So please don't make the mistake of judging somebody by their age!
You can't deny that I have probably experienced more than what you assumed when you heard I was 18