PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Resignations
Thread: EK Resignations
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 17:29
hotndusty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, the problems at EK which motivate people to leave can be, I believe, mostly solved non-monetarily ,and sadly, the driver behind all decisions adopted here is money and nothing more. The common complaint amongst all of us seems to be HR related - ie: 1)being awarded the leave due to you keeping in mind that the majority of people here are 'foreign' and would certainly like to see friends and family more than once a year or two. 2) Crew control - where is the 'manager'?..Emirates has turned a 90+ hour month into the norm and has such created a new 'industry' standard that appears to be on the verge of being 'expanded'..aside from absolutely no regard/respect for day/night/timezones and the ill effect on health, etc. we truly lack a 'manager' who is willing and able to put some reasonableness into this whole equation; and the excuse of understaffing, etc has run it's course. I'm sure I speak for the majority - pilots' at EK are not afraid of hard work but, as we tell our CHILDREN, respect goes both ways?
3) We've adopted a reserve system with the intent that for 20% ( based on 5 bid groups)of our working lives we will be on call, however, as time goes on even that good will is eroding. When a pilot reaches the top two bid groups it's reasonable to assume that desirable rosters should be expected. However, what now commonly occurs is the removal of flying for training or otherwise ("post -roster" publication, etc) with these trips replaced by available days; obviously what follows are highly undesirable trips that someone accepts/expects in the bottom bid groups but not the top. Hence, for what should be a bit of give and take with this bidding system frequently turns out to be an unmitigated disaster. I believe once again that 'understaffing' is a common response to the concerns?
3. How about a company that practices what it preaches? When things go wrong what happened to "it's not who's right, it's what's right?"...we live in a society (corporate or otherwise), where as long as blame can be apportioned to one individual the problem is solved. In my opinion there is a crippling lack of credibility where departments and individuals tasked with specific job functions do not have to be responsible for their actions - now I've heard for years that performance of individual(s)or departments is directly proportional to pay, etc..well, that may or may not be the case but who's problem is that?- the commander?
I realize I'm being long winded but if there is frustration at Emirates as to why there are too many resignations, well, how about looking at the obvious? As important as safety audits and CRM programs are, if you don't include everybody from top to bottom in these programs I think it's a waste of time/money/resources - when will somebody here stand back, take a breath, attempt to see where this thing is heading and then make some tough decisions that will bring the most important asset, the people, together?