PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Power Settings
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 13:11
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey DooblerChina:

Originally Posted by DooblerChina
On a separate note, Air Rabbit, you make some really valuable points, I do agree with your theory that we need to input an action, wait for the reault and then act on it, the best pilots do that. I really wouldn't learn pitch/power tables because the likelyhood is that the instructor knows all about them and sets the aircraft heavy!!! What I have suggested is an aiming point which I have used on ferry flights up to tankering sectors. Also I think getting a few hints and tips is invaluable. If I was a sim examiner (and I'm not) I would be really impressed if the guy had bothered to go and learn some basic techniques which will help him in he sim. If I was looking for a new employee... I would certainly look for the people who have put time and effort into the detail. This would surely imply that he would be a great asset to the company for the future. The pilot who doesn't prepare for sim checks is an idiot. I cannot believe for one second that you don't prepare for the 6 monthly grind, and I fail to distinguish the difference here.
A couple of comments: First, I think you may have misunderstood my point in citing the two examples I did. I indicated that the second example was a very “mechanical” way of flying the airplane. I think that is a mistake; primarily because it is simply beyond human capability to do and do correctly. I was not advocating a “mechanical” way of flying the airplane. Successful pilots do not “input an action, wait for the result and then act on it.” They process the environment, decide what is necessary, and make appropriate control applications. The critical difference, is that successful pilots will continue to process the environment as the control applications are made and determine if the airplane is responding as anticipated and is moving in the correct manner to achieve the desired results. More often than not, these successful pilots will have to make adjustments (probably a whole series of adjustments) throughout the maneuver to achieve (and then maintain) the desired condition of the airplane. Should they, for some reason, decide to wait to see what the airplane does after their initial input, they are going to be late in making necessary adjustments. And, importantly, if the pilot is flying mechanically, he (or she) is going to have to know what mechanical position to which the airplane controls will have to be positioned to get the airplane to move to the condition originally desired – since, now, the airplane would be in some other condition than it was at the start. In order to do this throughout the normal operating envelope of any airplane, this will absolutely necessitate a huge data base of understanding pitch, bank, power, and trim settings for various weights, configurations, and energy states (airspeeds) and a computer-like recognition of what combination of these factors are most likely to achieve the desired condition from the current condition. As I said, “beyond human capability;” certainly, at least, beyond THIS human’s capability!

Secondly, I am certainly NOT advocating going into any situation unprepared; certainly not any situation where your ability is going to be assessed. Reviewing procedures (when to lower the flaps and gear, when to call for checklists, what is the sequence of events for an RTO, etc.); recalling specific numbers (like limiting weights, temperatures, speeds, etc.); refreshing recollections of locations of certain things (like the MEL or CDL, temperature conversion charts, etc) are always helpful in preparing for a simulator or line check. But, the distinguishing difference that I believe you said you didn’t see, is, from my perspective, that trying to “fudge” a bit by trying to remember specific pitch, bank, power, or trim settings for certain circumstances can be more cumbersome (and if you’re not at all familiar with the specifics you’re trying to remember, it is likely to be a lot worse than cumbersome!) than just doing what you normally do in those same circumstances.

So, without any animosity what-so-ever, I believe that if you are the type of person that absolutely “needs” to have a whole series of numbers, as provided by Rangas for power settings … be my guest. As long as you do your job completely and safely, within all the boundaries of required processes and procedures, and within all appropriate rules and regulations … I’m certainly not going to fault your choices. However, I would think that you might be able to be more “aware” of your surroundings were you to choose a more “conventional” way of operating the airplane – and, at least in some cases, that might be an aid in moving up in your organization.