PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Power Settings
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 09:09
DooblerChina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rangas has given some really accurate pitch/power settings and they are great if the sim flies accurately and the weight is based on 83T.

However, this isn't always the case.... When I fly the sim, I tend to set 1.2EPR/2-3deg and refine from there. You won't be a million miles out, as you can see from the post above. The biggest exception being Gear down, flap 20 - obviously a fair bit more power is needed and a higher nose attitude.

In response to a previous question. From a platform of 2 - 3000' be level at flap 5, go gr down flap 20 on glideslope alive, watch the ballon on flap 20. The drap should bring your speed back to + 40 and then call for flap 30 on glideslop capture. In theory almost no change of thrust will be needed.

I do advocate making minor changes in thrust, however - If large changes of speed are needed, don't be afraid to be agressive with the thrust levers. Jets are slippery little buggers and if for some reason you are 15kn fast then pull the levers right back. But be careful of the pitch/power couple and remember to put the levers back to that trusty 1.2 when within 5kn as the engines might need a second to spool up.

I don't know your background but remember some basics - if you are on the glideslope and all is looking well, don't try and fight it down. The 75 is probably better at flying an ILS than you are! Don't forget shes been doing it a lot longer. So if alls looking rosy, make small corrections, fly your attitudes and dont forget to flare!!

On a separate note, Air Rabbit, you make some really valuable points, I do agree with your theory that we need to input an action, wait for the reault and then act on it, the best pilots do that. I really wouldn't learn pitch/power tables because the likelyhood is that the instructor knows all about them and sets the aircraft heavy!!! What I have suggested is an aiming point which I have used on ferry flights up to tankering sectors. (I was way out on the ferry) Also I think getting a few hints and tips is invaluable. If I was a sim examiner (and I'm not) I would be really impressed if the guy had bothered to go and learn some basic techniques which will help him in he sim. If I was looking for a new employee... I would certainly look for the people who have put time and effort into the detail. This would surely imply that he would be a great asset to the company for the future. The pilot who doesn't prepare for sim checks is an idiot. I cannot believe for one second that you don't prepare for the 6 monthly grind, and I fail to distinguish the difference here.