PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aero Engineering - Thesis Research Subjects Wanted
Old 15th May 2007, 09:02
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Thresholds of acceleration sensitivities for the standard man/woman pilot.
Possibly better suited to a physiologist than an Engineer?

Effects of experience limitations being imposed on current flight test personnel.
Again, I'm not sure I'd agree that this is a core engineering problem.

Factors for the setting of aircraft centre of gravity limits
An excellent FTE question (in fact the whole issue of setting flying limitations is core FTE, despite the fact that I think that some TPS still don't actually teach it as a subject). Possibly more interesting however could be to take an indigenous type (the Jabiru J400 maybe) and do a complete re-evaluation of the basis for CG limits?

Hazards of upper atmosphere cold soaked fuels for aircraft
Good subject, but almost inevitably going to stay theoretical - I'd have thought that any self respecting future-FTE would want to do things with real hardware?

Determination of optimum tensions in manual flight control cables.
Oooh, interesting - especially if it can be tied to evaluation of a particular type, so that the student can get involved in some real flight testing. If he does this, make sure he publishes the answers so we can all learn from it.

Non destructive inspection (NDI) of load bearing composites in aircraft.
A bit nebulous perhaps? People like AgustaWesland put millions into researching this, so I can't see it being other than a literature review, which isn't much fun. Also not really FT related.

There's an interesting list here, or here's a few ideas of mine.

- Take a commercial simulation (say on MS Flight Sim or X-plane) of something for which original flight test reports are available [the DC3 for example, many of the certification reports are available on the NASA document server] and conduct an evaluation of the integrity of the simulation.

- Find somebody friendly with a homebuilt aeroplane that has little documentation, and create a part 23/25 standard set of operating data for it. (Great one this, lots of flying, little risk, good technical rigour required).

- Invent and test an original method for measuring and standardising take-off and landing performance for light aeroplanes.

G