PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ms Jackson refusses to go
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 07:23
'holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas forced to comply with cap

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...63-462,00.html

"In discussions that I've had with senior management from the company, they've given me a clear undertaking that they intend to maintain the share register in such a way that it remains compliant with the Qantas sales act," Mr Vaile said.

"As the smoke clears after the bid and the activity that has taken place on the share market, it will take a short time to ascertain the structure of the register.
I know the answer to this question and I'm pretty sure you all do as well. How long will it take for the board to reconcile foreign ownership?

If I was a betting man, I would have said that IF the 50% acceptance had been reached by the deadline, I'm sure we would have all heard about it very shortly afterwards. So presumably APA (and Qantas) had sufficient records to determine this. Yet we have been waiting at least a week and half for an answer to the foreign ownership question. Let me guess, are they waiting for the cap to fall below 49% before they make any kind of announcement.

In this day and age of computers, does the share registry have no records of the nationality of share owners? How did they police the Qantas Sales Act before the APA offer was even dreamt of? Are they trying to tell us it was one man with a notepad and abacus?

The real question is, what can we do to put pressure on these bastards and make them accountable?