PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 15th May 2007, 04:04
hardcase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
firstly i would agree with some of the posters, buying a SSTR with no job offer is a big risk. Secondly if you are going to buy one why is it you only talk about B737/A320.....surely if you have no commercial time, this includes instructors why wouldnt you think about a Turbo Prop TR. More operators and they are always willing to take on new to type pilots with low hours.

I was 32, had 1200 hrs TT, was a PPL instructor for 18months...and had to decide....be a CPL/IR FI or SSTR.

14 months ago I did an ATR TR, spent 2-3months still instructing waiting for a job and bingo, RHS and very nice too. Now yes there are people who will wait less or longer after a TR course, but that is the luck of the draw.

I hated having to pay for the course but have no regrets now, as i approach those 500hrs multi crew hours to get my green book.

My point being, widen your field of vision....yes we all like the idea of a nice shiny jet, but hey getting your hands dirty flying a well kitted TP is not a bad way to gain some experience.

Best of luck with the choice