PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 115V/400Hz
Thread: 115V/400Hz
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 00:35
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Here's a typical 240 NM Weather Radar. Power Consumption: 4.2 amps @ 28 VAC 3.0 amps @ 115 VAC, 400 HZ Not much at all.
LOL, I've become a total dinosaur. I had a gut feeling that someone would come up with figures from the modern world. Our retro-fitted 12" radar on the Viscount used to make the lights go dim.
'It's Volts that jolts and mills (Milliamps) that kills' Meaning a big voltage can give you a shock but unless the voltage is sustained and the power source can deliver a sizeable current it won't kill you.

I can recall one of my lecturers at Cambridge (I was being polished, not the full degree) telling me about the time he copped hold of a 9kv winding from a hard-wired EHT transformer. When he left hospital he went back to his lab and looked at the scuff marks from his shoes trailing across the ceiling. They gave us plenty of amps to play with in those days.

Brits........Geeeeeeees, I have an old pilot's hand book at home, and the schematic is mind-blowing, let alone the full circuit.

Talking of rotary generator days, hands up who can tell me what a torque switch does.