PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closest airfield to London?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 00:17
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA into London

My Ha'pennies worth:

Central London options approaching from the Southwest my Luvver...
"About as easy as slipping a sly six inch suppository into Ken Livingstone's backside sideways without him noticing (or enjoying it)".

Battersea - @£450 + parking + vat a throw its not such a good option. In addition to this it takes a good 25 mins by cab to get to W1 - London really needs a better heliport with less greedy ownership.

Elstree - OK, but more like 45 mins on the tube from Stanmore to W1. I must admit I don't recall getting a particularly hearty welcome from the grumpy bugger in the box at Elstree, in fact when I went in to pay my landing fee he was casting doubt upon the parentage of a visiting pilot in between grumpy radio calls - horrible grumpy miserable man in claustrophobic box - (made a mental note not to come back).

Denham - never been but its my next one on the trying list

Fairoaks - a real ballache to get into the city via Woking railway station - when I landed there last year in my Mooney the ATC person said "the last 2 accidents we had here were Mooneys - both went off the end of the runway - twas indeed a trice short but I made it with about 20cm to spare!

Northolt - you need to be with Netjets or called Windsor or with the forces - they give the cold shoulder to civvy pilots unless you have at least 6 engines and are called Abramovich.

For Heathrow Airport, White Waltham + 15mins taxi

For Gatwick Airport, Redhill + 10mins taxi

Basically, there is no easy way in.

Rant over,

SB