PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ms Jackson refusses to go
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 23:11
RedTBar
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taildragger67:

Thanks for the link.It is a very interesting article and reinforces what most of us are thinking.

The article is too big to be re printed here but here is a section that I found very interesting.

"During the early days of her career as a director, Jackson expertly steered her way through several difficult situations, with little if any public fallout or cost to her reputation. That's because she was always vocal in forcing others to take responsibility, to own up to their mistakes.

She was chair of BHP's audit committee during the debacles of the late 1990s. Billions were lost in cost blow-outs at the hot-briquetted iron project in Western Australia and the ludicrous Magma Copper acquisition in the US. These disasters rocked BHP's reputation and claimed the scalps of then BHP chairman Jerry Ellis and chief executive John Prescott.

And she was in the same position of audit committee chairman when Pacific Dunlop wrote off billions. Chief executive Philip Brass was ousted in 1996 and Jackson was in favour of his departure.

As head of the audit committee, it wasn't Jackson pushing the button on the projects. It was her job to ensure the accounts were accurate. And it was Jackson who pushed in both cases, who argued for the write-offs, to ensure the company took its medicine"

Now this in relation to the failed takeover bid:

"Jackson appears almost deaf to the criticism. She did not offer her resignation to the Qantas board.

"My view and the board's view is that what we need now is to settle the management down," she says. "We haven't done anything wrong, I don't believe."

As I said very enlightening