PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing seaplane on the Thames?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 15:58
'Chuffer' Dandridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-ASAX wrote:
If the rules don't specifically say you can do it - then obviously you cann't!
Wrong...! It's actually the other way round. BUT, I suspect you'd need the permission of the Port of London Authority, and clearance to land in a congested area (and restricted if Central London).

I know of three occasions where an aircraft has landed on the Thames. Keith Sissons did it in a Tiger Moth (got a picture somewhere), and also in a Cessna 185, G-BKMM which then taxied up to Tower Bridge. I have also seen the Kermit Weeks Short Sandringham, G-BJHS moored outside the Tower of London, so that has also landed there somewhere (can't believe it water taxied all the way from Southend!).

During the past year, the CAA have also given permission to land a Twin Otter in the Royal Victoria Dock, so it can be done.

Probably just another case of people thinking themselves into it being too difficult.

NikNak wrote:
certainly already be full of shipping of various kinds,
Not anymore. The abcense of shipping on the Thames downstream of Greenwich is very noticable, with only a few 'commercial' movements per day. Ferries and pleasure craft, however do feature, but it's hardly busy!