PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all Canadians....
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 15:49
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're welcome. Crikey that's a long wait for visas. I knew the wait time had gone up since 9-11, but 4 years !! BTW – don't mean to sound pedantic, but all you have are visas enabling you to legally live and work in Canada – it is not Canadian citizenship. For that you either have to be born in the country (like my eldest daughter) or you must apply, and to be eligible to apply you must have been living in the country for more than 3 years and then it takes about a year before you get invited to take a citizenship exam. Assuming you pass (it isn't difficult at all but people do fail – usually because they have no basic of French or English) then you will be invited back to a citizenship ceremony where you swear an oath to Canada and the queen, then and only then can you say " I am Canadian" ! Ohh and I guess if your parents are Canadian then that might circumvent all of the above !! ;-)

Anyway, this is all very interesting, but doesn’t really help you does it ! As mentioned earlier with no credit history in Canada it will be tough to get a loan, but where there's a will ……. You may need to get your parents to secure it on you behalf. Try talking to the HSBC Bank before you go – they claim to be the bank that is internationally connected. Worth a shot.

All that aside, I see you are planning to go to the States to train and presumably get an FAA licence ! So, what then if you don't mind my asking. (and if I was a bank manager with a loan application in front of me it might be the kind of question I'd be asking) !

Good luck.
CG.