PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Power Settings
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 13:57
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirRabbit,

I disagree to some extent. Different a/c designs take completely different power settings. Some use FF as primary power on approach, some use N1, and others use EPR. I think a reasonable starting point makes sense for new pilots. After that I tell them "this gets you close, after that you're still a pilot".

757/767 are actually fairly easy. 250 KTS clean, or on speed in landing configuration, you can double your a/c gross wt. and get a power setting that's close to what you need using Fuel Fuel. (additional headwinds need a bit more power, but hey, we're all pilots so figure it out!)

IE, 250,000 lbs = 5,000/engine 200,000 lbs = 4,000/engine.

So typical 757 approach fuel flow is 3,500-4,000/engine.

Another 'gauge' is top of descent fuel flow should be very close to your approach fuel flow setting. (cruise KIAS roughly 250 KTS which is the same power setting as approach power...)

757 N1 on final is typically around 57% and sometimes a bit higher.

EPR? Never look at it so I have no idea.

T.O. pitch about 17 degrees. Climbout down low around 10-12. Approach attitude around 2.5 nose up, but with the great visibility of the 757 it appears to be nose low from the cockpit.

I'm a big fan of turning off the autothrottles. The pitch/feel changes so greatly with power changes the 'hunting' of the autothrottles push the nose up and down while hand flying. Many a newbie has given themselves a handful of aircraft due to auto throttle induced PIO's.