PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety aspects of FI
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 10:44
Mad Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a student...

I've had 2 close encounters during my training so far with my instructor....

1 When some b*stard came flying straight into the circuit to circle a landmark, which just happens to be "IN" the climb out pattern. No intentions of landing, wasn't talking to the tower & and from his actions, I don't think he even realised that there was a grass airfield in the vicinity.

Luckily my instructor and I both saw him - but as I froze - he took the airplane from me to avoid (I was VERY low hours then).

2 2nd time was in haze when we were actually waiting for a RIS as everyone was trying to get one that day 'cos of the conditions.
Straight in front, constant aspect - the worst kind. I didn't spot him at all but luckily he started to turn slightly and my instructor just happened to be looking in exactly the right place at the right time - and HE had control so that I could deal with MY first RIS call. That one was MUCH closer...

I know that a FIS or even RIS is not an exchange for maintaining a good lookout but what is your opinion on it helping you focus more on teaching the lesson
I can't speak for my instructor but I do know that we "both" find RIS is distracting when out and about, and we only use it when conditions really need it for safety.

He's got enough to do monitoring what I'm up to without listening to a constant stream of traffic data. And as for me...I'm listening to what he's telling me and don't want constant interruptions on the radio which take my mind off what I'm trying to do - 'cos then the flying goes to pot, and he has even more to do, nagging me to sort it.....

"Eyes outside" has been hammered into me from day 1 and I'll always point out any aircraft that I see, and don't assume that he's seen it.