PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai...Centre of Excellence??
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 05:29
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the second runway, two questions:

1. I've been told that because of airspace constraints in the departures/arrivals area, the second runway will have almost no effect on increasing movements [i](hopefully not true, but nothing would surprise me anymore)['i]. Even if this is true, at the very least, it should make life considerably easier for the Tower controllers with the very tight tolerances they're working to now on late landing clearances. (Allow me to throw a large bouquet at them on this point - I've seen some very well-judged 'squeezed in' departures between long lines of arrivals over the last few months, none of which [that I've seen at least] have gone wrong. It's a quantum leap from the days - not too long ago - when I've been told to go around at around 1,000'AGL because an aircraft was still on the runway.)

2. Any truth to the rumour that the new runway subsurface is substandard (shades of the new Bangkok) and that's the reason it's so late in opening?

Forget the dedicated clearance delivery frequency. Let's have data link for departures clearances.