PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai...Centre of Excellence??
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 05:07
Ali Bin Somewhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have not put my survey in yet but looking forward to adding my input to help highlight where the +'s and -'s are.

As said before its very crew specific and to the good crews {you know who you are} it is always a pleasure to work with you. As an example giving Dubai 30nm through DESDI one night with no arrivals from the east and no pending depatures then the next night giving 10nm through both gates and lots of depatures seems to be crew specific not procedures. Dont get me started on the "snake/conga line"(call it what you will) where a/c are covering an extra 60+nm inside Dubai airspace after being held by enroute to give them 20+nm spacing through the gate............

I'm sure your just having a laugh but if you are serious then would like to see the actual figures on fuel burn, but if a pilot is told to stanby start I would assume he would not be allowed to start the engines {please correct me if i am wrong as im not a pilot just a lowly enroute controller} therefore an engine that is not actually running should probably be useing less fuel then one thats holding an a/c in a stack at Fl300. If you are refering to one trundeling down a taxiway v's one in the stack at FL300 {again would like to see the actual figures} then the question should be why has the Dubai co-ordinator not "managed" the traffic and delayed start of these a/c so that the 15+ a/c in the sky can get on the ground BEFORE they run out of fuel. Again correct me if I have this concept wrong, but an a/c flaming out on final due fuel shortage {dont say it wont happen just look up ATSB findings for some examples} still has a couple hundred feet to go till it's on the ground whereas an a/c flaming out on a taxiway just stops.

As to it being "less human resource intensive" to hold 15a/c in a stack then to tell an a/c to "standby start" it would be fascinating to hear the logic for this. I'm not having a go, just cant wrap my brain around how that could be.
people involved?

15a/c(holding) = 30 aircrew + 1 controller + 1 planner = 32 v's 1a/c(standby start) = 2 aircrew and 1 tower controller = 3

workload?
15a/c working out fuel loads/dirvert times/controller instructions/flying a/c +controller and planner and all their work v's 1a/c sitting on ground telling passengers delay due busy period at airport + tower controller

But if it is actually "less human resourse intensive" to hold 15/ac then tell one to "stanby start" are there any TWR people who want a job swap? I'm looking to leave this easy enroute life and take up a more "intensive" job. {and before the abuse starts its a joke joyce}

Onto other subjects I hear that the second runway will be open in about 2 weeks. Someone of "great importance" was delayed on the ground for nearly an hour and has deemed that the runway will be open by the end of the month.
Any truth to this rumor??
cheers

Last edited by Ali Bin Somewhere; 14th May 2007 at 12:39.