PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Respect and gratitude for the military
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2007, 18:09
TANTALLON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was serving in a NATO post in Denmark in the mid-90s. One of my very good friends a USAF major was retiring on the American "up or out" system. About 20 of us plus wives were invited to his retirement ceremony in the HQ's theatre. The place was decked out with the stars and stripes and at one lecturn, another major read out a valedictory letter from Bill Clinton (obviously the computer-generated variety). At another lecturn the senior US officer (a colonel) then delivered a very warm speech covering my mate's achievements and then conveyed the heartfelt gratutude of the American people. He was then presented with what I think the Americans call a shadow box, an oak-framed glass case containing the Stars and Stripes in one half and a montage of his badges of rank and medals on the other. Over the top maybe, but it brought a lump to my throat I can tell you.
Having recently retired after 33 years and endured the ignominy of surrendering my 1250 to a less than interested SAC, I reflected on that experience in Denmark. It brought home to me the genuine respect the American people have for their military and the utter disdain which certain sectors of the British public have for ours.