PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 13th May 2007, 15:09
smoothkpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a Type rating

Hey Fatboy Ginge
I am in the position you referred to. I have my Frozen ATPL plus FI and MCC and am considering my next move. I currently have about 550 hours and instruct PPL part-time, I work full time to pay the bills.
I am considering doing a Type Rating within the next year if nothing comes my way from the usual routes. I have come to this decision though only if I can get a job offer based on me providing the funding for my Type Rating. Over the past years in this aviation game I have managed to develop a few links. I think doing a Type Rating without a job offer is a HUGE Risk. Better still if you can stretch that bit further financially get yourself some hours on type whether its 50 or 100. OK its not a huge amount of experience but its better than nothing. See www.randhem.com and no I don't work for them just considering going there. Two friends of mine went there and both got jobs soon after they finished.
In terms of the type of aircraft to go for it would have to be a 737 or A320, both are very common in Europe with the former leading the way. Everyone I know who has paid for their type rating is currently flying for an airline. Despite this, be aware this is a huge risk and to maximise your chances of being put forward for employment you will really have to shine on your course. Many of the providers of Type rating training have links with airlines and can recommend you, so do as much preparation before you start (e.g get a hold of the CBT and manuals for your chosen aircraft before you start the course and practice, get used to the procedures etc.)
I hope this helps, no doubt there are many out there who disgaree with this subject but PM me if you want any more info.
All the Best
Smoothk