PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10g without g-suit
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2007, 14:59
4L3X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yes (Could be the last?), I have come across the ‘hydraulic’ liquid water suit you speak of and have actually been fortunate enough to see and feel how it works. Probably not the exact model you have seen or speak of, but one that I’m sure is very similar, both based on the same concept.

Basically the hydraulic g-suit technology is primitive therefore still in it development, testing and evaluating stages at the moment and unlike the pneumatic g-suit which as you rightly infer uses compressed air, the hydraulic technology uses liquid for the same role. As with all new products they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I think the whole idea is not just for g-suit capability. I have heard and seen developments in the technology and idea which is to also use the liquid or ‘hydraulic fluid’ as a cooling agent for the pilot’s body.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...Cooling+System

We all know and have felt the ‘greenhouse’ effect in the cockpit. The idea comes from the underclothing suit that Formula 1 drivers wear directly as a first layer on their skin (like long johns) when driving for lengthy periods of time in a small and cramped space (like fast jet cockpits) to prevent their body from overheating thus keeping the body at a constant temperature. Remember that it is the body’s core temperature that is most important and if you can’t regulate heat to keep you or your internal organs warm or fluid to cool yourself you are in deep trouble. Especially, if your core temperature rises or falls by just a few degrees.

Naturally the human body uses up energy especially with regulating body temperature evident with sweating or ‘perspiring’ when you’re hot, or shivering i.e. generating heat through friction when you are cold. The new suit will do all that for you and the g-suit bit aswell! Impressive or what! This in theory will take a load of work off your body and so your energy is not burnt up keeping you warm or cool, thus increasing the indurance of pilots to essentially fly for longer periods of time although there are obviously limits on how many hours you can fly on the trot, like lorry drivers must sop and rest after every 4 ½ hours for a 15 min minimum break or so, it also means that the pilot can concentrate more with what’s in front of him. In this sense the suit is an asset to aviation and may in fact save lives in the future. ‘We have but just touched the surface’.

Where I think it has its flaws is if you can imagine a shoelace being wrapped very quickly and tightly round your legs and arms getting tighter and tighter as you increase the number of g. Rather painful im sure you would agree. This as near as possible as how to explain its sensation. Its quite uncomfortable and somewhat uncomfortable. It still incorporates Nomex fire retardant proofing etc essential and vital safety feature.

Unlike the current g-suit which inflates, distributing its pressure over a larger surface area thus it is not as painful. However, im sure the hydraulic g-suit is more capable and efficient.

Again as with all products they have their advantages and disadvantages, there is still room for improvement and it is (the technology that is) still in its concept stages at this present time is rather primitive but sure looks very effective, if not somewhat painful. Im sure we haven’t heard the last of it. But all good things come to an end.

Sorry for the long post peeps, alot to talk about lol.

Al