PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baron - 58 vs 58P
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2007, 07:07
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuckles me old

There is a very good reason the second hand market is incredibly depressed and why it will stay so and actually get worse.

The manufacturers of the airframe and equipment are increasingly reluctant to support the product and it figures in increasing prices and decreasing availability. Certainly there appears to be a vibrant after market industry but with a diminishing number of available serviceable airframes. There were around 500 total B58P produced, last ones built in 1985 with most in the late 70's, I'd be interested to know how many are still in service after 20-35 years.

Nivo

The Crusader if you can find one is bullet proof and dont be put off by the the Conty 250BHP engines, they are "flat rated" with the Turbo and will deliver the same or more BHP at cruise than the normmally aspirated 520, but much less stressed. Max RPM is 2400 for everything, TO Climb Crz etc. And behaves like a single with an engine out. Feet on the floor through all regimes if you are so inclined. It was designed to be pressurised but time and tide caight up with it before they had a chance to get there. But its really only a 4 place aircraft if you have known icing.

The stand success story and IMHO where you should be is the C414A Chancellor with the 325HP engine mod. Fast 200plus KTS, economical, huge 400 series cabin, quiet and you step up into it and stroll up to the huge the cockpit rather than the circus contortionist act involved getting into the Barons. It will also carry 6 POB with known icing fitted. AND it will still be worth something when you get to sell it.

EVERYTHING that is not in current manufacture is subject to a formal Corrosion Protection/Prevention programme. Unless the manufacturer has published a program or your local maintenance provider can provide one the value of your aircraft is effectively zero, so make sure whatever you buy is covered.

Remember the aircraft you are talking about are 20 to 30 plus years old and despite the specious "yes but they are maintained differently to motor cars" argument they are still 20 to 30 plus years old with all of the problems this brings, in other words it is not for the faint hearted or light of pocket.

Ask your friends why they INVESTED in TBM and Pilatus aircraft. I can assure you their actual total cost of ownership at the end of the day will most likely be the same as your B58P and may only be a little more than the C414A, and they have the real speed, assurance of warranties and the incalculable benefit of turbines. I'm not interested in a debate on the truth of that statement it just is.

Your call, heaps lower capital costs/higher operating costs for say C414A over TBM or Pilatus, donate the C414A to the local kindy soon, make the maintenance and supplier guys richer, or have a saleable asset.

Both work, just depends on whose bank account you want your hard earned to retire to.