PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baron - 58 vs 58P
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2007, 04:01
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fair enough...I think a normal B58 would do you 95% of the time at a fraction of the DOCs of a 58P and I think a 58P's payload range would do what you want 90% of the time too...they are pretty limited with lots of bums on seats and even a 500nm IFR leg would need nearly full tanks by the time you allowed for an alternate etc.

Tinpis' recomendation above, the Crusader, could be good...Gaunty will know what they are like payload/range wise...I suspect they are a 4 seater most of the time...also a C414C could be an good choice too...an 8 seater but really a 6 seater. C340s are very payload range limited...full tanks and it'll just be you and 1 or 2 pax plus briefcases travelling. They don't have long legs either...hence Cessna lost the tip tanks and went wet wing.

My personal choice would be to find a good B58 with perhaps near run out engines but good garmin IFR stack, interior, paint etc. I would upgrade the engines with Gamispec TNIO550bs, JPI engine monitors and install a good oxygen system. There are several good choices for oxy systems and as long as you operate below 18000' you need not bother with oxy masks and instead use nasal cannulas which clip onto the boom mike and squirt oxygen up your nose in controlled amounts...much more comfortable than masks and uses (wastes) VASTLY less oxygen.

The TNIO550bs will give a full 1700 hr TBO (and then some if operated sched 5 and with knowledge) because they are 'ground boosted' only...that is they only give you 29.5 inches MP (up to about 20000') instead of 36in MP or some such cylinder destroying number. With 300 liter tanks and operated LOP you will have a safe IFR range of well over 1000nm and a TAS of >200kts.

Because you're not eating cylinders due overboosting and not running pressurisation system the DOCs will be near identical to a bog standard normally aspirated B58 but it will give you want you want, I believe, 99% of the time. LOP you'll save a lot of fuel which at $1.50/liter is a consideration. It could be as much as 15 USG/hr difference between a

TNIO550b operated LOP and a 58P's TSIO520s operated with bog standard injectors ROP. Think of it this way...that fuel saving pays for the next engine overhauls all by itself.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 13th May 2007 at 07:08.