PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baron - 58 vs 58P
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2007, 23:49
Nivo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies - I can see a pattern! I think I need to answer CC's questions to explain how we ended up here in the first place.

I am going to need an aircraft for personal business travel (ie cost of travel is tax deductible), rural Australia, 500nm+, IFR, short (800m) gravel & grass strips. Pax numbers ranging from 1-6. Quite a few people I know have ended up with Barons for similar operations and like them. Some started with Bonanzas, some have migrated to TBM850s or PC12s. Having flown a Baron on similar legs, I liked the comfort, speed, and added security of 2 engines.

My home strip is 3600ft, LSALT is 6600, so 2 levels available each direction IFR if non pressurised. Cloud in winter together with FZL <10000 makes known ice a must have, but it is much preferable to get out of the cloud. Oxygen is a possibility but a hassle with kids. That led me to pressurisation and I noticed 58P Barons are getting cheaper by the day in the US as the doctors and lawers put the payment down on their Eclipse!

I hope that explains my thinking on the issue. I realise that for most of the flights I would be better of with an SR22 or similar, but I suppose it is a bit like buying a 4WD to tow the boat once a month - you look at aircraft that will do 100% of what you want, not just 90%.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

cheers,

Nivo