PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One Computer won't stay connected to network.
Old 12th May 2007, 21:47
boguing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[EDIT: Saab Dastard has just shown that I didn't read your post fully. Whereabouts is the adsl connection? Router/modem or shared modem?]

What is providing the wireless connection from the offending pc?

Reason for asking... I have (one's in the bin tonight after raiding bits from it, the other is in a box just in case) two Intel PCI wireless cards. They are useless. For one thing the aerial is so close to the steel back surface of the pc that wireless is bound to be crippled. The biggest problem with them has been heat.

And this is where you come in, possibly. They were more or less OK until I tried transferring large files. Can't remember the speed offhand, but after about 3 m bytes they would just stop working. They'd be fine after a shutdown/cool down, but repeating the experiment proved it.

If your problem is definitely time related, I'd seriously consider heat to be the problem. Software doesn't usually keep track of time before going flakey.

But, if it's not that, I'd still be thinking hardware. If it's a USB dongle, is it on a hub - and if so, is it a powered hub?

Anyway, I'll ponder further if you tell me what the device is.

Last edited by boguing; 12th May 2007 at 22:32.