PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Respect and gratitude for the military
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2007, 15:56
Big Tudor
Alba Gu Brath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think PN raises a valid point about the British forces being hidden away from view during the 80's & 90's. Most of my service career was spent not being able to travel in uniform (although the sight of hundreds of young men with short hair cuts and identical kit bags on Newark North Gate station was hardly inconspicuous! ).
And I don't think it has anything to do with the contribution the US forces make to the local community, there are plenty of examples of UK servicemen helping communities; missing climbers & children, Boscastle, Chichester, etc.

I do think there was a period in the 70's and 80's when a number of British servicemen didn't help themselves with their general social behaviour. A number of establishments were near to towns and villages where unemployment or low paid work was a major factor (not the only one). The sight of servicemen coming into the local bars & clubs and brandishing (at the time) fistfulls of pound notes didn't really go down well with the locals. Fighting was a regular occurence and local (and in some cases national) press were quick to point the finger of blame at the troops. The reputation earned during that period has stuck, apart from brief periods post Falklands and GW1. Anybody else remember the indignation from certain members of the City during the post GW1 parades in London. "How dare they close off our streets for some dirty little tommy's."