PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for US based pilots
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2007, 13:36
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me just say, if you are coming from the States, you will think HSBC is the worst bank you have ever used. They charge you a fee for everything. It is very inconvenient and you must do many of the things that should be done on-line by actually showing up in person.

You want to get a new card cause you lost yours? That is fine, come in and fill an application. HSBC is like most things in HK. Convoluted and very complicated with lots of paperwork.

You want a credit card? sure, how's 20+% APR sound? What a deal, right? I never get credit cards for more than 10%, but in HK, that is unheard of. Not to mention they will cap you limit based on your salary. So if you are a US based FO, then your limit will be around 4 to 5 grand.

IMHO, the best option is to have a really good bank in the States that doesn't charge for incoming wires. I use Commerce Bank, which is a bank in the northeast, based out of NY. If you are coming from this area, I highly recommend you walk into a branch and open an account. You can do everything online, there are NO FEES for anything, and they are really customer oriented (hopefully they won't get bought out, but probably will).

They don't charge me for when I transfer money, and it costs about 16USD for a wire transfer from HSBC. The nice thing is that you'll be able to do this from the states if you don't make it out to HK ever month.

Good luck