PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Respect and gratitude for the military
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2007, 20:53
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think splitbrain has it in post #4.

The US hadn't suffered a meaningful attack on its mainland soil for over a century, and the impact of the WTC attacks was a major shock. I was (then UK based) in Chicago around 25th Sept 2001. I didn't know where to put my face. I felt like I had wandered into a funeral cortege. There were US flags EVERYWHERE. The sleeping giant truly had been awoken.

Some years on, and I now live in the US. I'm not American, but as a former soldier, I feel pride in seeing the way that ordinary Americans show respect and gratitude for the military. Not just US either. I've lost count of the beers I've been bought when my background came out, and I've been out of the mob 6 years. Hell, I feel the gratitude myself. After all, these brave men and women are keeping me as safe as they can. What's wrong with a sense of national pride in what has been fought for, and vigorously defended?

I see nothing wrong whatsoever. Bravo.

How about the UK? Well, when the electorate tolerate London councils who prevent the flying of the Union Flag, as it "might offend the community", when there's people with British passports supporting Pakistan at Lord's, when the 7/7 bombers held British passports, you're on the road to annihilation of being "British". Change in a sensible manner is to be applauded, but change in such a dramatic manner will destroy the values and ethos of the UK, and the military will be the last upholders of what has gone before.

So it's the US of A for me, partly because I'm frankly disgusted at the mess the UK is in, and the treatment of the military and defence issues by the UK people.

As it goes, I'm writing this in Dorset where I happen to be on a business trip, in a bar full of white middle class people. Until these same people can summon the moral fibre to deal with the erosion of British values, instead of worrying how they're going to pay their mortgages, or how long they'll wait on the NHS, then you're fcuked.

A few hours in the company of Delta Airlines on Sunday will take me to my home. Can't wait for the immigration officer to say "welcome back". I'll say "thanks for doing your job & keeping me safe". Bring it on.