PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This reminds you of just where you fit into the scheme of things!
Old 11th May 2007, 15:27
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Tabby dear fellow,

Having had the grand experience of being at ground zero of a much smaller Tornado strike upon the airfield I had just landed at a few minutes before....there is sweet fanny adams that will stand up to a proper F5 twister.

We are talking about a funnel cloud that throws cars, SUV's, and all manner of things miles from their takeoff point.

I was lucky on my experience....the Beechcraft Baron I had been flying took off without me and found itself in three pieces half way down the airfield. The fuel bowser was overturned, and the main hangar with 300 million dollars of corporate aircraft was plain ol' squashed. That was just an F2 or F3 event.

An old Army buddy turned corn farmer in Iowa told of some very interesting happenings during Tornado strikes. He tells of a neighbor's house that was left with just the flooring....walls, roof, ceiling....everything gone but the flat slab of the flooring.....that and a Grandfather clock that was happily ticking away right where it was before the storm.

A later storm destroyed a barn....roof and walls but leaving the hay loft on the second floor relatively unhurt....but with a full grown cow found munching hay and not a scratch on her. The trick was in getting her down from the hay loft! It took a crane and sling setup to hoist her down.