PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheapskate network wiring.
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2007, 21:35
rickity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC
not sure that the difference between 568b or 568a matters too much providing its the same at both ends. i.e. tx on 1&2, rx on 3&6, pins and cable ids given are 568b and work for me on any ethernet.
below is a cut and paste from my info, looks like the picture wont post easlily but hope it helps.
Rickity
T-568B Color Code for RJ-45 Plug
Eight-conductor data cable contains 4 pairs of wires. Each pair consists of a solid (or predominantly) colored wire and a white wire with a stripe of the same color. The pairs are twisted together. To maintain reliability on Ethernet, you should not untwist them any more than necessary (like about 1 cm).
There are two wiring standards for these cables, called "T-568A" and T-568B" They differ only in connection sequence, not in use of the various colors. The illustration shown is for T-568B. The pairs designated for 10BaseT Ethernet are Orange and Green. The other two pairs, Brown and Blue, can be used for a second Ethernet line or for phone connections.
Note that the Blue pair is on the center pins and conveniently corresponds to the Red and Green pair in a normal phone line. The connections shown are specifically for an RJ45 plug (the thing on the end of the wire). The wall jack may be wired in a different sequence because the wires are actually crossed inside the jack. The jack should either come with a wiring diagram or at least designate pin numbers that you can match up to the color code below.
Pin Number Designations
There are pin number designations for each color in T568B as well. The pin designations are as follows:
Color Codes for T568B
Pin color pair name
--- ----- ---- ---------
1 wh/or 2 TxData +
2 or 2 TxData -
3 wh/grn 3 RecvData+
4 blu 1
5 wh/blu 1
6 grn 3 RecvData-
7 wh/brn 4
8 brn 4
Note that the odd pin numbers are always the white with stripe color.