PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting an FAA PPL(A) and self fly hire on helis in Kissimmee, Florida ???
Old 10th May 2007, 07:53
Aer Maritz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting an FAA PPL(A) and self fly hire on helis in Kissimmee, Florida ???

Hello all.
I am an Irish national, middle east based 8000hr current rotary ATPL (H) with IR, multi, etc.
I have a lapsed IAA CPL (A) IR with a little under 2000 hrs, mostly instructing.
I am taking my family to Florida for a month at the end of June and i would like to try and do some flying while there
Can anyone advise me of a local area flying club or school where i could possibly get current and obtain an FAA PPL (A). The last time i made enquiries with several schools by email and phone they didn't seem to understand what i wanted to do and i was generally told that i would need to fly anything up to 40 hours, etc, etc!!!
I haven't flown fixed wing for about 5 years, but based on experience i think around 5 hours should do to it to become recurrent and do a flight check with a competent instructor, on a 172 or similar?
Also, can anyone recommend an on-line FAA approved school where i can take the writtens for a PPL?
And is it possible to self fly-hire in Orlando something like a B206 using an ICAO ATPL(H)?
Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but my fixed wing licence is gathering dust and i miss flying something with the blades fixed on and if i can get an FAA PPL i would like to do some fun flying for a change as well as taking my 9 year old son with me and letting him experience what flying is really about outside of a PS2!!!
I also believe that i will need to go through a finger print and security check with the TSA? Any information if this can be done locally in Florida, how long, etc???
I appreciate any response to this.
Many thanks.
Aer Maritz