PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a US regional to Emirates
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2007, 03:40
jumbo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think long and hard if I were you. The idea might seem great but reality is different. My suggestion to you would be to take a vacation with wifey to dubai and come and have a look for yourself. Dont look at the glitzy buildings etc but go and look at the day to day living stuff. Check out grocery prices, visit schools, drive in the daily gridlock etc etc. The aircraft are nice and shiny but that wears off after a while. You have NO rights here whatsoever - NO union representation etc so effectively you are on your own.
You will generally have minimum days off here every month 8-9 with a real mix of east/west flying. Fatigue is a reality here with all sorts of tricks and shenanigans from our leadership to get more out of you for less. Some months you will have a bit more time off. Expect to be a very tired puppy most of the time.
You will get a mixed bag from the EK guys on prune but mostly negative. Personally I have not been unhappy here - it all depends on your reasons for coming. If they are right then you'll be ok but if you're chasing money or a quick command and giving up your seniority then think long and hard. If you are about to be furloughed etc then it's a no brainer. As I said earlier rather come and have a look for yourself and make a proper informed decision. Forget the roadshow nonsense - you will not get the true story - you will see a glitzy video on dubai. Knowledge is power!
Good luck with your decision
Jumbo