PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Poor for PPL, Shall I glide?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2007, 03:26
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, gliding can involve a lot of waiting, however, 4 days for 10 mins is rather an exaggeration.

Go Gliding. It's a great way of flying, considerably cheaper, and a lot of fun. If you want kicks, most gliders are stressed for aeros.

Assuming you're uk based, there's also a route to flying SLMG (self launching motor gliders) on a NPPL (I think), and potentially on to SEP light which at the time looked seemed to be competitive / cheaper than going direct to a PPL.

My advice would be:
- Pick your club carefully; the cheaper ones will probably involve more sitting around; a commercially run operation will be a bit more expensive, but will probably provide better value for time.
- Plan on day chunks - you will be expected to assist getting the kit our OR putting it away at least.
-Fly weekdays / evenings if you can - less competition for seat time.

For what it's worth, I fly gliders and light aircraft.

Wouldn't give up the gliding. I find gliding and power flying satisfy very different aspects; there's an immense satisfaction being able to fly off cross country without an engine, and come back 3 hrs later.. the view is better, and doing unpowered aerobatics is definately another dimension. You'll also learn why you were given feet.

Powered flying is very different. Very procedural, very rigid. In comparison to a single seat glider, it feels like driving a bus. But it has turnkey convenience, and the potential to go places on demand, and fly over places you wouldn't go in a glider. I started as it seemed rude not to; being in Aus, I can count all my glider hours and it's cheaper here.

As a glider pilot I've found the flying part of the transition pretty easy. The 3ft stack of bookwork I have to learn to pass the exams less so.

I love both for different reasons, if I had to choose - I don't know.