PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deselect speed (autothrottle) on B737
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2007, 18:36
airbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok just to clarify all: I am saying for manual flight, of course, the A/T should be off. I agree with 'A37575' and 'BOAC' in what they said, and the examples they gave.

As for manual flight, with the A/T in the ARM mode, well 'Rainboe', you do have a valid point - with using 'TOGA- it's useful and prevents inadvertent overboosting or overthrust and one of the pilots having to attend to thrust at a time when the gear and flap are being raised very close to the ground.'
Of couse this is really the only advantage in this procedure of using the ARM mode.
It can make life easier during a go-around, but NOT always!! Be careful.

'Rainboe', I guess we could come to a compromise and say, leave it in ARM, then during the flare disconnect it altogether. But one fine day, you will get a new pilot pushing the wrong button on the throttle levers, and instead of disconnecting they will advance. Or the other way around - if left in the ARM mode, the throttles kicking in during the flare as the aircraft gets to slow.

As a Training Captain on this aircraft, teaching new pilots on type, who are still trying to understand the autoflight systems, I have found it a lot more simple and easier for them, to encourage the A/T to be completely OFF when manual flying. If a go-around is necessary, then PF pulls back on the yoke and at the same time coordinates the application of go-around thrust, where after the PM confirms it has been set correctly or re-adjusts it.

For experienced pilots like yourself, who understand its limitations, then if you feel comfortable, use the ARM mode.
Thats all I can say.