PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Canard Handling Deficiency
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2001, 00:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
1. Stalls around 25-30, Vne is 61 (which I suspect is grossly conservative, but don't have any data to prove otherwise). [This is all IAS, but I think CAS is pretty close, I really aught to go up with a GPS and calibrate it.]
2. Nothing (and incidentally the fins are split so left rudder gives outgoing left fin and nothing on the right)
3. Comfortable in smooth air, with moderate pitch control (much less elevator power than at higher speed) but the ailerons (well mixed spoilers and ailerons) are very non-linear below 45, so I use rudder for roll control down there. Best glide is about 35 kn / 200 fpm.
4. No, and given that at high speeds (55-58 kn MCP cruise) it is overpowered (moderate pitch displacements, very low forces) with a noticeable tendency to enter a PIO I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

I haven't flown it since (weather has just clagged in over here and it's firmly a fair weather machine, due to the combination of very low wing loading and a canard), but your suggestion of trying different power settings in the recovery is a good one which I'll explore when the Wx improves.

I'm not sure whether a rudder-induced roll would drop the nose, and in any case have a moral aversion to applying large amounts of rudder around the stall unless I'm wearing a parachute.

Thanks for your input, any further thoughts gratefully received.

G