PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Cockpit? MK V
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2007, 16:59
MReyn24050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windriver

You wrote:- I'm probably not ready to solo on What Cockpit without a bit more dual...
Not at all your challenge was a great challenge and you were working to the information you had.
As you say the Aeronautical Syndicate were very prolific. If one studies your photograph with the one I posted of the Valkerie Type C there are many similarities in the structure especially of the inverted V struts from the lower structure to the structure under the pilots seat.Having done some research, which is half the fun of this thread, I was intrigued to know where your photograph originated. I understand that there is a replica of the Valkerie in the Florida Museum "Fantasy of Flight" it used to be in "The Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island".
On another website I found the following:- "Aeronautical Syndicate Ltd. Formed June 1909 by pioneer Horatio Barber (1875-1964). After building an unsuccessful tractor monoplane the Syndicate became identified with the Valkyrie series of canard (pusher) monoplanes. From Salisbury Plain, Wilts., moved its scene of operations, in September 1910, to Hendon Aerodrome, London, leasing three of the eight hangars belonging to the Bleriot Company. On July 4,1911 the Valkyrie B was used to transport the first air cargo in Britain (a box of Osram lamps). Several Valkyrie canard pushers built. Not easy to fly, but used successfully for training. Early in 1912 twin-propeller Viking biplane built."
So it looks as though the ASL Monoplane shown in your photograph was not a success and possibly it only achievement was the flight of several hundred yards quoted in the Flight article.

Please keep posting.
Mel

Last edited by MReyn24050; 8th May 2007 at 18:00.