PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - still eligible to fly w/ misdemeanor
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2007, 15:34
OxfordFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All sorts of things come in to play with criminal records, depending on type of crime, seriousness of crime, age when committed, punishment received, etc. etc.

If the crimes aren't too serious, sometimes your record is cleaned at 18. There is also the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which means, in most situations, you do not have to declare any crimes after a certain amount of time depending upon the punishment received.

I doubt very much whether a misdemeanour with a firework and a caution will prevent you from obtaining your PPL, but only the CAA can give you a definitive answer. If you have to wait a year, you'll have to wait a year. It'd be a tough punishment, but then it is a great privilege and responsibility to pilot aircraft.

My other hint would be not to try and cover it up. Being open and honest will get you a lot further in the long run. Every kid makes some sort of mistake and people understand this. As Bri85 says think twice and stay out of trouble from now on, and there shouldn't be too much to worry about.

PS I imagine the police officer will at some point process it. If unsure you can ask for what information the Home Office has on you - have a look at www.crb.gov.uk for more info although it may cost.

PPS I'm not a legal expert, but I know plenty of people who have done stupid things as kids and are now doctors, lawyers, bankers, pilots, etc. etc.