PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Cost Comparisons
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2007, 09:55
chrisyross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's quite surprising to see the figures presented like that.

I can't comment about some of the prices there, but for OBA, if you go there for PPL training (rather than just buying hours like it appears that you have calculated) then some things are included: flight test, flying instruction, accomodation. I see you've even included the cost of a bike (I took a pucture repair kit with me, and repaired an abandoned bike and rode it)

Thanks for looking at the spreadsheet.I was surprised as well with the costs - I've been looking round the forums and have seen a few people say training isn't that much more expensive in the UK when you take all costs into consideration but I've never seen the figures before.

Your point about the inclusive prices for a PPL is something i looked at when doing the figures. I assume that for booking block hours for the PPL meant you get a discount but if you take my figures and subtract things like upgraded accomodaton (own room) and the flight to Florida the prices come very close to the advertised PPL prices.

The additional Visa requirements for the US could end up swallowing up any savings to be made by going there though I'm keen to choose somewhere the instruction is good and not just the cheapest.

Last edited by chrisyross; 8th May 2007 at 14:05.