PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risk Assessment in operation
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2007, 09:24
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't see that the fuss is about - the truck is only doing 30, well within the 55 speed limit

But seriously, its easy to condemn an activity as "being dangerous" just because its something we have not personally encountered before. In this case, perhaps they had considered the hazard of leaving the cockpit rotors running, wondered what the issue was (mainly uncommanded control movement?) and fixed it by adding some means of locking the controls that don't have OEM locking (yaw pedals?) as well as turning off the boost, thought of a procedure to ensure that the pilot does not try to take off with the controls still locked etc. But then again perhaps not!

But perhaps they had a couple of shortened blade incidents from the heli landing too close to the truck (following a hose leak where they had to cut some off the hose to repair it etc) and decided this was the lower risk option.

Whilst I have seen a lot of reports of ag helis hitting power lines etc, I have never seen one where it falls off a lorry. And how many ag pilots suffered illhealth from chemical poisoning versus being hit by debris from a helicopter falling off a lorry, yet they are not wearing even masks? You have to look at the big picture.

HC