PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next step up from a pa28 140?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2007, 02:18
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a Beech C23 Sundowner at a fair price. I'd sell you mine but I'm across the pond (I'm looking to get something smaller as in 2 seats so I can fly longer into my, umm, declining years).

It has a 180 hp O-360, which is reliable. Gross is 2450 lbs, my useful is 867.1. Some have a lower empty weight, mine has the aerobatic kit so is a bit heavier. Mine's a '79 and in its serial number range, can carry 59.8 gallons of fuel, 57.2 usable. That can take you far but eats into payload. However there are tabs with markings for 37.4 gal. usable and 27.4 gal. usable. Looking at the performance page, perhaps a bit optimistic, at 2500 ft and 60% power you will true out at 108 knots/124 mph on 8.2 US Gal/hour.

So with 30 gal (27.2 usable), I am good for about 3 hours endurance at 108 knots, and I can carry 4 standard adult males. Bump up the fuel to 40 gal/37.4, and endurance moves up to about 4.5 hours; but you lose 60 lbs payload, so you can carry two standard males and two standard females. With tanks topped up, endurance is a full 6 hours, but you lose payload; still you can just barely carry three standard adult males on full tanks.

On the other hand you can go faster and burn more: 73% power at the same altitude is 118 knots/136 mph, burn is 10.4 gph. Book even lists 88% power (God knows why) giving 128 knots but sucking down 13.2 gph.

The thing has a very large cargo area, and as I said most are non-aerobatic and somewhat lighter than mine so you may gain a few pounds of payload.

The really nice thing about this aircraft is the wide comfortable cabin.

It ain't as sexy as an Archer but it's nearly as capable and prices are lower than for Archers. Plus they fly great, don't listen to the old wive's tales bout difficult landings, mine is the easiest-landing aircraft I've ever flown, the trick is to stick to the numbers; too fast is when you run into problems so the practice of adding 10 knots on approach for the wife and kids is to be frowned upon (in really choppy weather, no more than 5 knots extra); in any event approaches are fairly quick, 80 knots clean/1-notch flaps, 75 two notches, 68 knots full flaps. Great stable x-wind machine too. And being Beech, built like the proverbial brick sh!thouse! Repairs can be expensive if you prang it, but if not, just standard stuff.