PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So Long to Wally Schirra
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2007, 20:27
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"Death or the Ejection Seat"

Not seen much mention of his handling of the Gemini 6 Aborted launch...The Titan launcher lit but a split second later shut down before lifting off ( I don't have my sources to hand, I believe some dust caps/covers had been mistakenly left in place somewhere in the launcher)...He and Stafford were left sitting atop a fully fuelled, "dud" Titan, and, as he described it later " the clock had started" but they were going nowhere.....they were faced with the decision to stay in the Gemini and hope nothing went bang or eject off the pad, effectively scrubing the whole mission TFN and loose any chance of the rendezvous with Gemini 7 ( Borman/Lovell). Schirra made the choice to sit tight and thus "saved" the mission. If you listen to the tapes of the coversation between the spacecraft and the blockhouse you hear Schirra make the wonderful comment of "we're just sitting here breathing"........Cool indeed.

The message title is from memory, the title of the relevant Chapter of Andrew Chaikins excellent work on the 60's American Space program.