PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2007, 16:41
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiltie,

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as is IO540, but have you read the original post?

I'm sure a Gulfstream would be even better and I'd much prefer to tour IFR in one of those ... but it hardly fits the other criteria (OK that's an extreme, sorry)

I'm looking at potentially buying an aircraft (preferably NEW) and setting up a small group - say 4-5.
I'm thinking VFR particularly, and NOT IFR flying. But, if there are any IFR options for the budget - throw them in.

Criteria:-
Must haves......
2 Seater, SEP(A) hr rated, Low wing (for preference), cruise speed 100 kts+, will be parked outside - not hangered (so preferably metal, as composites aren't proved long term). Max fuel burn 30lts/hr (I want to keep the hourly wet flying rate low). A demonstrated crosswind component of at least 17kts. Factory Built. Tricycle undercarriage.

Nice to haves:-
Rated for simple aerobatics - but not essential as I could always hire something to get the "need" out of my system - so don't get hung up on this - I don't expect the other group members to have the same "urge".

Budget £60 - £75k (£12.5 - £18.75k per head)

Please give suggestions, pointers to web pages for specs, prices etc, personal experiences - as I'm sure a lot of you will have tried them.

PLEASE keep within the budget & "Must Haves"
The RV fits all of her requirements, but they're not cleared for IFR in this country anyway. I agree, a nice four seat IFR equipped 182 or such like would be better and more comfy for a long IFR flight, but does it fit the other requirements? for £75K you could buy a pretty damn hot two seat VFR type, but a pretty poor IFR four seater.

SS