PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Crew Security" Thread (merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2007, 07:30
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qUOTE.
Anyway, my personal experience; I am a uk air traffic controller, arrive at work for shift recently,not allowed to bring in any drink, nor any liquids,butter etc to cook my meals with. As it turns out my first two hour radar stint is very busy. After this i have only tap water to drink in the tower building. Company provides no alternative. in my half hour break i just have time to walk , airside, to the terminal restaurant where i can buy a limited selection of pricey drinks and make it back to the tower before controlling again.I have been made aware that the drinks supplied to the airside restaurant are usually not checked, only some random scans take place.I feel incensed by this, i am trusted to make many decisions whilst controlling that have a direct effect on aircraft safety yet i can't be trusted with liquid. Further , the restrictions are useless anyway if not everythiung is checked.
It is just getting out of control, I just hope that you guys or the airline guys go on strike over it I would definetely support it. (I´m in Exec-aviation, 4 guy ops and a strike would put me out of work most likely)
I just wonder what any member of parliament would say if denied to have their own drinks for a whole shift? (what work do they anyhow?)
As one that has an airside pass also for my car, I bring in "Liquids" almost by the ton - our catering. BUT when I pass the security checkpoint - got to get out of the car and walk to a screening point about 5 meters from said car - I´m not allowed to have more than a litre...
I´m german and my licence is with the german authority. This means that I have to ask to get a socalled "ZÜP", a screening by all secret and criminal services in Germany, every 2 years. Then, if there is a record, a bloke at the "competent" authority can deny the renewal just because he feels like it. You are not told what the problem is apparently (wasn´t revoked yet - luckily). There is a way of fighting it, buts its a legal battle that can take years.
Now, if you are from, say, Luxembourg, and you did an ATP in germany, you are NOT asked to have that sort of screening.
This hole scheme was introduced by the former minister of internal affairs, Mr.Otto Schily, who just happened to be on of the lawyers for the RAF, the terrorist group that acted in germany mainly in the 70´s and 80´s, killed several people by bombing and shooting.
When I think about the morons that do things like that to me, albeit by law they are sworn in to protect me and my freedom, I´m getting...