PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Crew Security" Thread (merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2007, 05:20
tribekey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brain fade
assuming the idea of 'proxy bomb victim' isn't a joke why in god's name would the current situation make any difference to that particular plot? if the idea is to force aircrew to destroy their own aircraft then you wouldn't need to arm them would you?
Infiltrating any of the relatively low paid ground crew or security jobs would be the easiest way of getting at an aircraft, a situation being made easier by the large numbers of people being recruited to man staff the 'security' system.

Anyway, my personal experience; I am a uk air traffic controller, arrive at work for shift recently,not allowed to bring in any drink, nor any liquids,butter etc to cook my meals with. As it turns out my first two hour radar stint is very busy. After this i have only tap water to drink in the tower building. Company provides no alternative. in my half hour break i just have time to walk , airside, to the terminal restaurant where i can buy a limited selection of pricey drinks and make it back to the tower before controlling again.I have been made aware that the drinks supplied to the airside restaurant are usually not checked, only some random scans take place.I feel incensed by this, i am trusted to make many decisions whilst controlling that have a direct effect on aircraft safety yet i can't be trusted with liquid. Further , the restrictions are useless anyway if not everythiung is checked.

I just hope that the first aircraft in an incident caused by a stressed pilot or controller or both has dft staff has passengers.

At the moment i feel like refusing to work as if i can not be trusted with liquids to drink or cook with then why shoul i be trusted in front of a radar screen?