PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 4th May 2007, 13:24
theWings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Well said, Phil.

The problem is that, naturally, there is a huge difference between the value placed on (read: employability of) a low-houred fATPL and someone with 500 jet time. Common sense dictates that making a move after a year or so is the smart career choice.

I paid for a bizjet TR once I was fairly sure a job would follow. I figured that I didn't want to be unfair to my employer if I chose to split within a year or two. As it turns out, I'm pretty pleased with where I am and will be staying for quite a while. Because they seem to value me and my experience, my company are talking about moving me onto another Type (yes, it's bigger, faster, has more buttons, etc, etc!) at their expense. Everyone's happy ever after!

And for all those of you blaming people for paying for a TR, perhaps you should consider them the symptom, not the illness? Do you have similar issues with doctors who invest 7yrs of their life up front and leave med school way in debt?

As far as self-funded TRs are concerned, no one really wants to a) take the risk or b) so called "ruin" the industry, but if you've good reason to believe that it will secure you a particular job then it must be an option, more so if you're a certain age and need to crack on with it all.

The Wings