PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit Captain in trouble in Milan?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2001, 11:35
flapsforty

Question

Tricky one Wig Wag! What with it being late into descent the chances of them causing any disruption b4 disembarkation were pretty slim. And is the enforcement of drugs laws upto us?
Sounds like you did the wise thing, shame the customs were too late........

In a similar vein, I have a question for all. 2 weeks ago during ground stop at an out-station, our AC was boarded by local customs officers & sniffer dogs without so much as a by your leave. Crew was eating lunch but I was still in the front-galley checking catering so I could stop the the invasion in it's tracks and tell the officers that nobody was boarding the AC without first informing the Captain of their intentions and asking for his permission.

Customs people didn't take kindly to this, and complained rudely in their own language. Only when I answered them in the same language and told them that this was a foreign AC and as such the Captain was the BOSS and was owed due respect, did they stop trying to shove me aside, and asked could I please get the capatin for them?
Permission was of course granted and they did indeed find a small amount of hashish in one of the seat pockets. (after the cleaners had done their bit )
My question, when the AC doors are open on foreign soil, what rules apply? Are the local authorities to be heeded in all things, or does the Captain still have authority on board??

PS: Paper Tiger, thanks for that link!
Interesting reading and as you say, thought provoking.

------------------
Singularly Simple Person........