PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smiths electric pilot Sep.1
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:08
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Cutting edge? Anyone who had to fly with the MFS may disagree. Clever it may have been, but it wasn't that good. For a start, it only had 18 degrees up and 9 degrees down pitch info - the Victor Mk2 could easily exceed those at light weights. The compass display was clever if you were intercepting a localiser, but that was about it.

I came to the MFS from the Sperry STARS system which was a modern (for the time) system which was far far better. The MFS was a bit of a shock when I first saw it. OK, for it's time it was advanced. But thankfully the displays used weren't used on any subsequent system and thus becoming the norm. They were an ergonomic nightmare and DP Davis in his book 'Handling the Big Jets' states that generally there were a fairly unsatisfactory system. As he was the head of CAA certification at the time, he may have led to their demise.

Incidently, the Mk2 V Bombers had a autoland system which used the Smiths autopilot and a system called L Cable which was an aerial which ran along the ground out as far as the middle marker. This was very advanced for it's time and I think the first operational use of an autoland system.