PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those Diamonds ..
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:25
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorta puts some perspective into the 'old technology' rubbish engines that Continental and Lycoming produce don't it.

Anyone who suggests that an IO520 or IO540 produced today is the same engine as 20 years ago is dreaming....many, many incremental improvements have been rought on those engines...in production methods and materials if nothing else.

There is a reason why nothing much of an earth shattering nature has happened in piston engines for a very long time.

You can slag off TCM and Lyc for a few things, without doubt, but they produce very efficient and reliable engines when you take into account the dispacement, weight and reliability demanded of them...GAMi-ise them and they are unbeatable...TN them as well and Diesels get left in their wakes...see avgas fall back in price (again) and diesels will once again hit the shelf for another decade or two.

I did some numbers on the Theilert V8 diesel engine v my IO550b...the IO550b is MILES in front overall...I then I heard Theilert had no plans anyway for a Bonanza certification because of the nose bowl design.