PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air crash investigation. TWA 800 CH 7 1930 26 April.
Old 2nd May 2007, 01:51
aircraft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thirty Eight South:
My mistake- it wasn't 400, that was from memory. In fact it's 700, take a look at the link and wade through this
I looked at that page - it shows 64 witness accounts drawn from a total of 755 witnesses. Were all 755 saying the same thing? I looked around a bit on that website but couldn't find any proper summary of the eyewitness accounts - plenty of stuff claiming to be a "summary" or an "analysis", but as the site is pushing the missile theory, it was all heavily skewed toward that theory.

The clue to this investigation is the exclusion of the eye witness reports from the official answer.
That is not true. The NTSB did recognise that there appeared to be a significant number of witness reports suggesting a missile like trace. They constructed a simulation of the flight path after the nose section broke off and this flight path (flaming and climbing steeply) could have been the trace the witnesses reported.

The evidence does not support the fuel tank explosion theory
Only to those that want to believe something far more fanciful! How can you say this? There is the known possibility of arcing of wiring resulting in a spark. There have been other cases of exploding centre fuel tanks. The wreckage clearly showed the origin of the explosion and how the break up proceeded.

As I said in a previous post, if there had been evidence of a missile entering the aircraft, or exploding in close proximity, it would have been extremely obvious. Could this have been hidden or covered up? With about 500 people (my guess) involved in the wreckage recovery and investigation that is way too many people to keep quiet.

If you think that somehow all these people have kept quiet because they were told to, or threatened to, then you really are delusional. Remember that this number of 500 becomes about 1500 when you add in family members and acquantances.