PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rothmans Aerobatic Team (& Others)
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2007, 20:33
Big Jugs!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcus Edwards's number 2 son here. As Norman has written, we met up, then operated back from Singapore together. The party/p**s up sounds like a great idea. Spoke to Bob Lee and he sugests trying to link it to an existing airshow.
Any stories about the old man are gratefully recieved at [email protected] and remember, after many thousands of hours listen to Marcus's stories, I know dits about all of you!
A few points I remember to clear up a few lose ends. Bob T and Marcus set up the Jubliee Duo in 1977 (the Queens Silver jubilee) with 2 S2As, (any pics? Interesting colour schemes!). They were as much surpised as anyone when Rothmans awarded them the contract to re-form the team. Bob led for the first year with Marcus as number 2. Bob's back (injured after leaving a JP I believe) led him to take more of a managers postion. Marcus then led the team till 1980 when it finished. Bob set up the second team, which Mike Cairns led.
George Smith died on the arrival routine. On the up burst, Marcus pushed out one way and George the other. Both then spun off height and then into land. Dad said he looked across when he recovered to watch George continue in. I believe it was then BECM was bought in as a replacement. Mike Findlay was called out of a semi rebuilt cottage in France and after 1 day in the Pitts was display ready.
On the return after the tour, Marcus put BADZ upside down in a field as told earlier. I still have the fabric reg which was on the team crew room wall. On the top read, Oats beets and Barly sortie. M Edwards. I know his spin on the story too!
When Marcus took the lead, he took BDKS as his mount. Being the least powerfull aircraft, it made the best lead. There was some inter change of aircraft with team 2 towards the end and he did use RKSF.
The slow roll in wedge (no 5 inverted over 4) was a sight to see. I know that dad didn't actually slow roll but did a tight inverted barrel roll to avoid the bomb burst talked about earlier. 1980 was the end of the team. Marcus and John Maclean bought BDKS and BECM to set up the Vixen Two. Marcus based in Cardiff and John in Bodmin(they would arrange a time and place and height to meet then fly on to the display). Andy Wallbridge got BADY and did instruction on it at Blackpool. After a few good years on the cct they decided to train Andy up in the third slot. On the last practice they had a mid air. I know the details but not the cause. Marcus continued for another couple of years. For a 2 ship, a second Pitts was borrowed and Dai Heather Hays flew it. Finally KS was sold. By this time I had graduated from urchin, through ground crew to ferry pilot. I flew KS on it's last flight to Bristol with Marcus in the front. After the departing beat up at Cardiff we were asked by ATC "Did you mean to do that?"

Last edited by Big Jugs!; 22nd May 2007 at 19:22.